(This artist performs in duo or quartet)
Tradition and modernity
Originally from Flanders, the crazy dandy sings and plays (almost) as if he was born in the Mississippi delta. “The blues has always borrowed from the past to forge its future,” explains this man who, discreet in life, sweeps like a tornado the scenes where he performs.
With his band, Steven Troch plays the blues by the roots but with a hipster feel, accompanied by the “crème de la crème” of the belgian-dutch blues scene: Matt T. Mahony (guitar), Liesbeth Sprangers (bass) and Bernd Coene (drums).
Steven Troch has accompanied several international artists (Gene Taylor, Ina Forsman, James Harman, Bill Sheffield, Guy Verlinde) and plays on more than twenty albums.
- Belgian Blues Challenge (“Band”) 2019
- Belgian Blues Challenge (“Solo/Duo”) 2015
- King Of Blues Chromatic Contest (USA) 2014
- King Of Swing Contest (USA) 2012
CD: «Rhymes for Mellow Minds» (2018)
If the jump off point of “Rhymes for Mellow Minds” (Sing My Title Records) is the blues, there is much more going on from this eclectic bunch via imaginative lyrics along with musical variations. The basic line up of harmonica, guitar, bass and drums is here augmented by saxes and keyboards at times.
Humorous lyrics contribute to the quirkiness of this great music that makes the band a fantastic find. Blues based music with intriguing musical turns, delivered with a hipster attitude: fertile minds are at work here !
Video: "Bad Taste" (2020)
Steven Troch: his life, his work...
Steven Troch: "Top Chef" !
- Troch got that vibe that normally takes years to acquire. (Mark Hummel, Grammy nominated harmonica player, USA)
- A “Top Chef” of contemporary blues. (Blues Blast Magazine, USA)
- Troch never allows himself to be seduced by displays of ability. (Written in Music Magazine, Netherlands)
- This band seems to take delight in combining styles and ideas. (michaelsmusiclog.blogspot.com, UK)
- Solid songwriter and strong player. (facebook.com/blueszinenl, Netherlands)
- Simply a super band that does the blues all the justice. (bluesbreeker.nl, Netherlands)
- Steven Troch’s totally controls his small instrument. (BLUES Magazine, France)
- The Belgian is one the best songwriters in the genre (keysandchords.com, Belgium)
- Listening to the Steven Troch Band is a very enjoyable activity ! (rootsville.eu, Belgium)
- Steven is a brilliant harp player ! (backtotheroots.be, Belgium)
- Possibly the best Belgian blues band ! (jazzepoes.be, Belgium)
- Both thumbs up ! (bluesnews.de, Germany)
- An eclectic and multifaceted work. (bluestime.it, Italie)
- Friends of contemporary blues, take a dose of Troch in your coffee ! (paris-move.com, France)
- Troch’s music is exceptional. (bluesmagazine.nl, Netherlands)
- This band is a compendium of fantastic blues ! (lahoradelblues.com, Spain)
- Steven Troch shows one of the international blues sensibilities. (soultrainonline.de, Germany)
“Nobody can tell you how the blues feel unless they have them.” (Otis Rush)